Manchester Veg People is a new way of trading in an ethical and sustainable way. It is a fledgling co-operative of local Organic growers and restaurants working together to provide fresh, seasonal food of the highest possible quality for Greater Manchester.
The aim of MVP is to bring together organic producers and buyers, increasing understanding and therefore fairness in the food supply chain, and making small-scale organic production more resilient. Its stated aims are to:
1. Sell organic fruit & veg across Greater Manchester, including encouraging new or existing growers to go organic.
2. Minimise the difference between farm-gate and retail prices.
3. Support our businesses so that we can make a living .
4. Engage customers and show them what’s possible.
5. Do the right thing environmentally.
6. Co-operate between growers and between growers and buyers.
Kindling have been working with the founding members of Manchester Veg People (as part of a Sustain supported project) to find new customers for the group and secure a large stable market to sell their produce at a price that reflects the true cost of production.
For example, the University of Manchester & the Kindling Trust have been working to bring one of the City's largest food purchasers and some of the region’s greenest farmers together to increase sustainable food for the city.
Manchester Veg People is at a very early stage in its development but presently includes growers like Gleblands City Growers and Moss Brook Growers; Tom & Julia Rigby and Dunham Massey Organics as well as potential buyers like the University of Manchester and DIG Food.
For more information please visit their dedicated website: http://www.vegpeople.org.uk/